Thursday, May 24, 2012

Blue powder

Here is where I left you.  One gorgeously near completion kitchen!


You can probably guess our next step in the kitchen makeover.  Removing the lovely powder-blue-orange-oak-trimmed laminate counters and the nasty white sink.

The sink is not sanitary.  Any dirt or germs and enter this area become aggressively attached.  The only way to remove stains is by using Soft Scrub with Bleach which is also good at removing all moisture from my hands.


So we took that beast out.  Titus had the honor of unhooking the pipes and such after turning the water off under the sink with the turn valve.  He also removed the tube from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal.  We then lifted the sink out and carried it to the garage.  It was not light but so worth my minor finger pain.


Time for countertop removal.  First, Titus unscrewed the counters from a few corners of the cabinets where it was attached from the inside.  After he thought he had removed all the screws attaching the counter, we tried to lift the ugly beast to throw it somewhere it belongs.

Unfortunately the counter was also attached above the dishwasher in a location that Titus couldn't reach.  Since dishwashers come with the shortest tubes and wires, it is difficult to take it out to reach the screws.  So Titus actually whipped out his circular saw and cut a rectangle out of the embarrassing counters and cut the screw off with his Dremel.

Tada!  All ready for new counters... Tomorrow!!!


3 comments:

  1. I'm still in suspense.... I really wanted to see the new counter tops!!!
    You were wise to get new appliances. The black really takes away from your hard work.
    Are you still camping out in your family room????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the new stove. Remember the old one was white. We actually like the black, though, so it is ok with us! Remember it isn't pushed in all the way because of the outlet problem, so you actually won't see any black on the sides. There isn't much choice when it comes to the color of the cook top though.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ash,
      I don't know what I meant when I said "the black takes away from your hard work". I think your appliances look really nice. Have your guys figured out the outlet problem yet?

      I agree with you about color choice of appliances. It's either white, black, or stainless steel. I saw some bronze appliances which I really liked, but there were limited models and not one that will fit my refrigerator space.

      I'm so excited that I was able to view your reply. For some reason I wasn't able to for a while.....

      Delete