Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Painting the Unpaintable

When talking about our whole dining room shelf debacle I mentioned that I had painted a picture frame white, since I couldn't find a large enough white frame.  I come to you now with a little spray painting tutorial with a few tips I have picked up.

For the carnival art frame, I started with a large black frame whose mat actually had a black inner line on it that also needed to be white.


So I decided to just spray paint the mat as well as the frame.  I figured it would be best to spray the matte anyway so the white of the mat would match the white the frame would soon be. 

I had a few other frames I wanted to paint white, so I laid them all out on a piece of cardboard for painting. 


I first primed the frames with Kilz Original spray primer.  I use this as opposed to using just spray paint plus primer in one because the Kilz has incredible coverage.  That being said, it is also harder to apply.  You have to make sure you hold the can at least 3 feet away from the surface you are spraying and keep the can moving at all times.  The primer can easily build up and cause dripping if you don't do those things. 


You can see I caused some sad dripping myself by not keeping the can moving enough.  It is always better to apply a few light coats rather than trying to get full coverage on the first round of painting.


Make sure you spray all the edges.  The inside edges of the frame can be easily missed in spots, so make sure you check for missed spots before you deem your job finished.


I usually let the paint cure overnight.  If you handle your spray painted item before it is fully cured the paint will scratch very easily.


I was very pleased at how the mat for the frame turned out.  It took the spray paint well and matches the frame perfectly!  So, I decided that I could also paint a mat with regular wall paint.  I thought I would try my theory out on the below mat. 


I was trying to frame a hand drawn, in pencil, circuit diagram of my Electronics project from college which was written on an ordinary piece of printer paper.  Since you are all dying to know, the circuit was for a Cocoa Clock which was an alarm clock which turned on a hot plate ten minutes before the alarm was set to go off.  The hot plate would have a cup of hot cocoa on it hence the name.  Since I have no shame, here is a real life picture of a very youthful me with the actual Cocoa Clock I made.


Thats right, it took two breadboards people, and you can't even see the hot plate behind me.

I digress.  Unfortunately the ordinary white computer paper completely clashed with the mat of the Ikea frame, which ironically clashed with the frame itself.

Constructive Feedback:  Ikea can you please make your mat the same color white as your frame?

Since Ikea has not yet taken my advice, I had about three different versions of white going on when trying to frame this extremely valuable scientific document.  The obviously solution paint the mat a better color.  I opted to paint the mat Silver Sateen to match the wall color I planned to hang the frame on.

I just brushed on some Silver Sateen with a nice 1.5" Purdy brush, making sure to paint the inner angled edges of the mat.


I let the mat dry, which took a surprisingly short 1 hour, and put my awesome circuit diagram on top of it (the circuit was too big to actually fit in the opening of the mat).


It is now a thing of beauty and I don't just mean that flawless circuit diagram. 

1 comment:

  1. My favorite blog so far!!! I love the picture of you with your cocoa clock and the diagram. Precious!!! Did you frame your diagram? I hope you did :)
    I'm eager to see first hand all the new things you have done.

    ReplyDelete