Thursday, October 10, 2013

Poison in the Air

When we first started looking at the poison house we started by considering the potential to build on.  We had a contractor come to the house before we ever put an offer on to see what his thoughts were on the joint.  Turns out its potential was basically non existent.  The house's location on the middle of the hill causes so many issues already, and they would only increase as more square footage was added.  Not to mention that the existing house is tiny and there just isn't much you can do to change that.

I then asked a question I thought was incredibly stupid.  "How much would it cost to tear it down?"

My estimate:  $20,000.  Actual estimate $5,000.  The difference resulted in a purchase and this...


My mom and I went to watch the live show during lunch on tear down day.  It's amazing how fast the demo man was able to tear the upper floor down since it was just wood.



He just loaded all the junk into a truck and drove it away.


I stopped by after work on day one and just the heavily cemented basement was left... and a wall that had accidentally fallen the wrong way.



As I was checking stuff out, I saw some of the newspaper that was used as insulation flying around.  The demo man was nice enough to cut some larger chunks out of the wall for me.  The house was built in 1942 so the papers they used were from 1941 and 1942.  I had always imaged the newspaper to be shredded or torn and balled up, but they just lay it flat in the wall with a piece of tar paper like stuff.


I hope to frame some of the papers that I saved for the new house.


So the poison house is no more....  Up next is our plans for our new blank slate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment