Last time I left you all the bathroom floor had been finished. To round out the bathroom features, we next worked on the shower.
First Titus added bracing to the shower walls with wood.
Then he attached a bunch of cement board.
Then he thinsetted some Kerdi to the shower walls. He is now an expert in hanging wall paper since it is basically the texture of Kerdi.
We also used a Kerdi shower floor with a center drain. Titus had to cut that to the exact size of our shower. It is sort of like a styrofoam chunk that has the correct leveling for the water to go down to the drain.
After the floor was in, Titus also cemented in the curb of the shower in which he just used some small cement blocks. After the floor and curb were dry, Titus Kerdied the floor over the curb and slightly up the sides of the shower. The drain was cemented over the Kerdi.
Then we were all set for tile.
I used the same basket weave tile from The Tile Shop to tile the shower floor as was used for the bathroom floor. It was much easier to install NOT over a heat mat since I could effectively use the trowel.
The shower drain was a stupid jerk so I had to remove it and the tile around it after my first attempt.
After the floor tile had time to dry it was on to the wall tile. We chose the gloss white 3 x 6 imperial bianco subway tile from The Tile Shop. Seemed easy enough...
For the first row we set up a laser level to make sure the whole row was completely level. It was set to a height so that it was one tile height above the lowest spot on the floor if that makes sense. So at the lowest spot on the floor one full tile could be placed on the wall but everywhere else the tiles would need to be cut shorter....
Anyway, we actually had a tile saw to use this time, so that was neat... Titus set it up outside on the screen porch on the scaffolding our contractor had left behind.
I then began laying the tile...
I backbuttered the tile for the first few rows just to get things started.
Once I had gotten to eye level we were ready to add our accent tile rows. We had chosen a charcoal polished slate 3 x 6 tile. It was thicker than our subway tile so we had to put a row of matte black pencil tile between the subway and slate tiles.
I look grumpy.
I cut the edges of the pencil at a 45 degree angle which I was really proud of.
I gave up the backbuttering method after about 9 rows (which was too long to backbutter) and just started spreading it on the wall. I would put up as many full subway tiles as I could and just scrap the thinset off the open areas that needed cut tiles. Then I would fill in the open spots with backbuttered cut tiles later. This was much faster.
Around the window we used some pvc strips available in the tiling section at Home Depot. They worked very well and matched our tile nicely. Much cheaper than getting the bullnose.
Then I moved on to finishing up the drain tiles I had left behind in anger. It was MURDER. I swear to you, if I ever have a missbehaving offspring their punishment will be installing basketweave tile around a square drain because it is THE WORST. We have no action shots of this process because Titus was busy cutting tiles for me to lay while I was throwing things and yelling out in rage.
We installed long skinny bullnose on top of the curb, and some normal subways along each side of the curb.
After the thinset had dried I grouted the walls in Delorean Gray grout from Home Depot. The black tiles got charcoal grout which was close to the color of that tile. That sucked a surprisingly large amount as well, and therefore you have no during shots.
Look at this perfect circle cut Titus made for the shower head pipe thingy! Circles are my favorite!
Instead of grouting the 90 degree corners along the shower like where the walls meet each other and the walls meet the floor, etc, Titus caulked those joints with white caulk on the subway tiles and charcoal sanded caulk on the black tiles. This is done because showers shift a lot so grout could crack and fall out. Also it covered up the bad cuts along the corners...
During the approximately 3-4 weeks it took me to tile this stupid jerk of a shower, there was a lot of suicide watch and talk of how much I hate everything in our life, but now we have a beautiful fully tiled, Back to the Future Delorean Gray, bright shiny, brand new shower that we made all by ourselves.
Never mind the plumbers putting in the wrong shower heads, the handheld shower not being attached to water, the blue painters tape on the window, or the $5 entirely clear eye-height shower curtain.
In other, less homemade bathroom news, we also got a vanity, toilet, and wall sconces.
We got the super glossy white shaker style cabinet from Home Depot. Turns out we had to attach the sink to the marble countertop ourselves. Titus was very excited at the opportunity to use epoxy for this job. Epoxy is his favorite. Apparently silicone just isn't enough, he prefers a lifelong bond. What a romantic.
We used our super cheap giant clamp to hold them together while the epoxy did its thing.
The drawers in the vanity are pretty neat how they have cutouts for the plumbing. I'm pretty sure the plumber hates us after trying to install the faucet in this drawer filled midsecton, however.
For your final viewing pleasure, are the iPhone fisheye pics of the entirely current state of our bathroom (including the mess)!
White subway tile: The Tile Shop
Slate subway shower tile: The Tile Shop (I'll get the name later)
Pencil shower tile: The Tile Shop (I'll get the name later)
Floor tile: The Tile Shop (I'll get the name later)
Wall sconces: Joss and Main "Fuller Wall Sconce"
Vanity: Home Depot
Faucet: Kingston Brass
Toilet: Home Depot
In floor heat: Suntouch
Shower heads: Delta
Shower wand: Delta
Shower window: Marvin Integrity All Ultrex
Shower curtain: I'm joking, it's hideously temporary
Shower curtain: I'm joking, it's hideously temporary